понедельник, 17 сентября 2012 г.

C-J, Columbia standout gets job on Wall Street - Dayton Daily News (Dayton, OH)

For someone who had never heard of Columbia University until hewas going to take an official visit to the school, Justin 'JoJo'Smith is doing an outstanding job of representing the school.

Smith, a Chaminade-Julienne High School Class of 2004 graduate, isone of three senior football captains for the Ivy League school inNew York City. He is a threeyear starter at cornerback.

And when Smith graduates this spring, he has a job waiting on WallStreet with Goldman Sachs, one of the world's largest investmentbanking and securities firms.

Through four games, Smith led Columbia defensive backs in tackleswith 15.

'I'm playing the run pretty well, but I'm frustrated because Idon't have a pick (pass interception) yet,' he said. 'I haven'treally been tested a lot. The teams we've played don't throw my way.We've got a freshman and sophomore rotating at the other corner, sothe teams we've played have been picking on them all season.'

The lack of interceptions is one of the subjects Smith has tospeak to the New York media about, along with all other mattersconcerning Columbia football.

'As one of three senior captains, I'm now one of the faces ofColumbia football, not just a little DB,' Smith said. 'So I have theresponsibility to represent the team not only to the media, but at alot of other functions.

'There's a lot more to it that I expected. So far it's all beengood.'

Smith was a running back, wide receiver and defensive back at CJ,and part of the 2002 Division II state championship team.

Several Division I colleges liked his athletic ability, but werereluctant to offer a scholarship due to his 5-foot-6, 135-poundframe.

'Guys off those C-J teams were going to Michigan, Michigan State,Bowling Green, Pittsburgh -- all kinds of D-I schools,' Smith said.'I figured I was good enough to play at a MAC (Mid-AmericanConference) school, but no one ever offered a scholarship.'

Smith was an outstanding student at C-J and was accepted atseveral top academic institutions, including Princeton and NotreDame.

'I still wanted to play D-I football,' he said.

'I thought about going to Notre Dame and maybe walking on, butColumbia kept after me. So I set up a visit.

'I knew Ivy League schools like Harvard and Yale, but before I wasgoing to take my visit (to Columbia), I didn't know anything aboutthe school.'

After his visit he was sold. He came in as a running back, but wasswitched to defensive back as a sophomore.

At 5-6 and 165, Smith is one of the smallest DBs in the IvyLeague.

'I wouldn't trade him for any DB in the league,' said Columbiacoach Norris Wilson. 'He's all heart and determination, and he'sovercome his physical limitations. He's a great leader. That's why hewas elected a captain.'

Smith entered college with the idea of becoming a sports agent.That changed, however, when he got an internship at Goldman Sachsthis summer.

'Investment banking is a whole different world to me, but the moreI got into it, the more I became interested,' he said. 'I'll beworking with their prime brokerage group and some hedge funds. I'm asociology major, so I have a lot to learn about the business world.

'It's competitve and a challenge, and that's what I like.'

Smith's parents, Dwight and Leslie Young-Smith, make most of theLions home games in the Big Apple.

His father is a former television reporter with WHIO (Channel 7)and WDTN (Channel 2).

He left the news business to get a divinity degree from PayneSeminary at Wilberforce University.

He is now a pastor at Trinity AME church in Springfield, and workswith several groups in the Dayton area.

His mother works in the advertising department at the Dayton DailyNews.

Contact this reporter at (937) 225-2251 ordlong@DaytonDailyNews.com.