воскресенье, 16 сентября 2012 г.

WNBA Isn't Hunter's Dream: Postgame Plan Already In Place. - Hartford Courant (Hartford, CT)

Byline: John Altavilla Courant Staff Writer

Sep. 21--STORRS -- The scars on Brittany Hunter's right knee will be constant reminders of three operations that tested her will, but also of a time in her life she will always remember fondly.

As she approaches her senior season at UConn, her fifth year of eligibility, Hunter is more certain than ever that those scars are more physical than emotional.

This will be her last year of basketball. She is now certain about that. And she is OK with it.

'I don't think many people realize that when I enrolled at Duke my aspirations weren't really to play in the WNBA,' Hunter said. 'I do enjoy the game, and I love to watch all of my friends play [professionally]. But I was never one to focus entirely on it. I always felt that if I got drafted I would play, but I always wanted to be a career person.

'I didn't want play basketball when I was 25, 26 or 27. I realize things happen for a reason. I've embraced what was happening to me. It's been a gradual process.'

Hunter, who transferred from Duke after her sophomore season, spent the summer preparing for the life she wants to live after college. Diana Taurasi's agent hooked her up with an intriguing internship in California.

'I spent a month interning three days a week with a sports management firm in Santa Monica,' said Hunter, a sports marketing major. 'Then I came back here to work at [UConn's] basketball camp before returning to California to work with Andre Farr, the CEO of Black Sports Agents Association. I'm hoping to continue working for the same group.

'It's the group that just signed Greg Oden [the NBA's top pick]. Since my sophomore year I have been preparing to be a professional sports agent. And recently I've begun to focus in on representing football players. That's what I want to do.'

After the Huskies were eliminated from the NCAAs last season by LSU, Hunter thought her playing days might be over. She told coach Geno Auriemma she was considering not playing again.

It was a frustrating season for her. She averaged barely 9 minutes, 5.6 points and just four rebounds. She missed 11 games because of residual soreness. She needed only two classes to graduate. It was tempting to step away.

'All I wanted to do with the summer was to take a break [from basketball],' Hunter said. 'Then I decided I wanted to continue to play because I like it. And I was intent to strengthen my leg so it would allow me to do so and also be prepared to carry on my life.'

Hunter has been practicing regularly with her teammates this summer. Her rehabilitation regimen has been somewhat regulated in order to keep her playing.

'Everything is good for me physically,' she said. 'We modified a lot of things. I've done a lot of swimming. I'm just trying to change things up, not running as much as concentrating on playing. But I know how things are. I obviously want to be a consistent player, but I also want to help people around me get better. I care very much about what happens here this season. This is my fifth season in college and I don't have a ring yet. I need something before I leave for the next phase of my life.'

Benefit Golf Tourney

Auriemma's Fore the Kids Golf Tournament is Monday at Hartford Golf Club. Entry is $275. For information call Lynda King or Joe Campise at 860-236-5833. Pre-registration for the event to benefit the Children's Medical Center ends today. Registration at the course Monday begins at 11 a.m. Lunch follows at 11:30 with the shotgun start scheduled for 12:30 p.m. Cocktails and dinner begin at 5.

Contact John Altavilla

at jaltavilla@courant.com.

To see more of The Hartford Courant, or to subscribe to the newspaper, go to http://www.courant.com/.

Copyright (c) 2007, The Hartford Courant, Conn.

Distributed by McClatchy-Tribune Information Services.

For reprints, email tmsreprints@permissionsgroup.com, call 800-374-7985 or 847-635-6550, send a fax to 847-635-6968, or write to The Permissions Group Inc., 1247 Milwaukee Ave., Suite 303, Glenview, IL 60025, USA.