пятница, 14 сентября 2012 г.

Vikings veteran Ball will retire.(SPORTS) - Star Tribune (Minneapolis, MN)

He started thinking about it around July 4th. Jerry Ball had devoted 28 years of his life to football, 13 in the NFL and most of the past three with the Vikings.

He decided it was time to give the same commitment to his wife and three children that he had given to the game. So, days before he was to report to Vikings training camp to engage in what was expected to be a fierce fight for a roster spot, Ball retired.

He said he was affected by the deaths of Oakland defensive back Eric Turner (cancer) and Kansas City linebacker Derrick Thomas (auto accident).

'I had two close friends pass,' Ball, 35, said from his ranch in Sugarland, Texas. 'Eric Turner, I played with him in Cleveland. And Derrick Thomas. I started looking at each of their lives and hoped they made the impact in their kids' lives that they made in the game. Life is truly what it's about. I want to make the commitment to my kids. It was just time.'

The 6-1, 330-pounder split 13 seasons as a run-stopping nose tackle with Detroit (1987-92), Cleveland (1993, part of 1999), the Raiders (1994-96) and with the Vikings, who coaxed him out of retirement in 1997. Ball signed as a free agent with Cleveland after the 1998 season, but the Vikings traded to get him back three games into last season to bolster the run defense.

'Jerry Ball has been a tremendous player for us ... and we are going to miss him,' said Vikings coach Dennis Green. 'It seems just like yesterday during the 1998 season that Jerry had 15 tackles for a loss. His ability to anchor the line freed up [linebackers] Eddie McDaniel and Dwayne Rudd to make a lot of big plays. Jerry has always brought a tremendous amount of leadership to the team.'

Ball, a three-time Pro Bowl choice, played in 197 games including playoffs, 47 with the Vikings. He had with 595 tackles, 32 1/2 sacks.

'I would say my time in Minnesota went really well,' he said. 'To be a part of Cris [Carter] making history; I love him as a man. Randy Moss ... one of the biggest thrills I had in my life is to say I played with some of football's greatest players... . The Minnesota Vikings were a special treat for me. Denny's the best coach I played for in the NFL.'

Ball's only regret was not winning a Super Bowl. He appeared in two NFC title games, one with Detroit, and with the Vikings following the 1998 season, a loss that hit him hard.

'I cried like a baby,' Ball said. 'Any time I see any championship won I cry, because I've longed for that feeling. I got close, but, hey, you move on.'

Ball said he felt the tackle position was in good hands. With the continued improvement of starter Tony Williams and the addition of draft picks Chris Hovan and Fred Robbins, competition for roster spots was certain to increase. The Vikings will save $700,000 under the salary cap with Ball's retirement.

'I know I would have been a part of the team,' Ball said. 'But guys like Tony, Hovan, Robbins, their future is so bright. I came into the league as a young buck and replaced an older player. Not necessarily because the older player couldn't play the game, but to give an opportunity [to the youngster]. I look at those guys, it was their turn to write their story.'

Ball will devote time to his family - wife Michelle, son Faren, and daughters Lindsey and Haley - at his ranch, where he raises cutting horses; and on his seafood distribution company. There is a chance he could return to the league as a scout, coach or broadcaster, but he could do an internship in that area this year. But family will come first.

'My oldest daughter will be in high school this year,' he said. 'I want her to know I'll help her pursue her dream.'